As a diabetes educator, I am often asked for recipes or meal planning websites that support glucose control. Often, people with diabetes think about dietary restrictions, but the good news is that you can still eat the foods you enjoy; it just might require smaller portions or choosing less often. The key to eating with diabetes is to eat a variety of healthy foods from all food groups. Some people with diabetes will need to eat about the same time every day but others can have more flexibility in the timing of their meals.
A website that I often refer to is the American Diabetes Association Diabetes Food Hub. The website is packed with recipes which have been reviewed by an American Diabetes Association dietitian to make sure they meet the nutritional needs of people with diabetes.
You can create a free account, save your favorite recipes, add them to a meal planner, generate a grocery list and then print the list for easy shopping. If you are ready to try a new recipe, here’s a healthy easy one!
Fast Fix Bean Burrito
Prep time: 1-minute Cook time: 1- minute Serving Size: 1 Burrito
- 8-inch flour tortilla-1
- Vegetarian Refried beans- 1/4 cup
- Mashed avocado- 1/3 cup
- Mixed salad greens- ½ cup
- Pico or Salsa- ¼ cup
- Place the tortilla on a microwave-safe plate.
- Using a spatula, spread the beans onto the tortilla, leaving about a 1-inch rim.
- Heat on high for 20 seconds, or until warm.
- Top with avocado, salad and pico.
- Roll up or fold in half and serve.
Click HERE to learn more about the Wellview services available to you. We can’t wait to work with you!
– SHERREE TELFORD, RD, LDN, CDE, CHWC